Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Breck Epic Stage 4: Attitude Adjustment

Today started out on the rough side. I had major GI issues and barely made it to the start line on time between trips to the bathroom. I felt shitty out of the gate and hoped to feel better once I warmed up, but was reduced to walking up the first gravel climb that I was able to mostly ride just a couple days ago.

Knowing I needed a positive attitude than I had at the end of Stage 3, I decided to enjoy company rather than try to push hard. The middle-of-the-back-of-the-pack was now just the stragglers at the back with all the three-dayers gone. Ty and Dave (formerly known as Yeti Boy) and Philip with a sinus infection and Jill from Ireland and Katherine from Ontario pedaled into the chill morning that was quickly warmed under blue sky.

The early miles featured some relentless climbs, but finally gave way to the first Enduro segment (I've learned to get excited when I see the arrows marking the Enduro starts because it means we're headed downhill for at least a mile or so). Aside from the long, steep climb up Vomit Hill, the stage featured more fast, flowy singletrack than we've seen all week and I enjoyed cruising through forest, meadows, and valleys up to Aid 2.

I had dreaded the "big climb" up West Ridge, but it turned out to be seven miles of a gentle grade and I cranked it out in no time to enjoy the ridge-top cruise and ensuing descent. I felt stronger and stronger as the day went on and my spirits were high as I bunny-hopped across the finish line. My time was slow at 6.5 hours, but it included my early bonk and some time helping Laurie break her chain after her derailleur snapped on the final descent, then a hike back up trail to pick up my Leatherman after it bounced out of my handlebar bag.

By far the most fund day so far and it left me feeling good about the two days to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment